On the NVR side, things are looking well but they are taking document requirements to a whole new level. Maybe it's the paranoia resulting from the housing crash of 2009. Last week, Pam our processor has requested copies of our statements of the accounts from which we wrote our earnest checks. They wanted to see the account activities for those months. Though it's not too wild of a request, I'm wondering why. I already had to send copies of the cancelled earnest check that I sent them and now they need proof that it rolled out of that account at that time? These doc requests are weird and I am not blaming Dean nor Pam for these pointless requests, they're just getting it from above. With a bit of lollygagging on my part, I finally got these to her. Hopefully, we won't have to submit a blood sample or DNA test to finalize closing.
Well, true to her promise, Amy dropped in on the progress and it looks like, aside from the carpets, the house is almost complete on the inside. In the kitchen, the microwave, ovens, and dishwasher have taken their place. Door knobs are now on the doors. Hopefully the the scraggly knobs that are now securing the house aren't the ones we are stuck with. In any case, if they can't be made to look like new--problem for the PM.
To our relief and Brandon's credit, they leveled the uneven concrete in the basement, formerly marked with an X. I guess closing is more likely now! To the concrete guys: you LIVE to do concrete another day.
This morning, Brandon had given me a call with his weekly update. Next week, there is going to be more work on the exterior, namely the grading of the yard, and the porch is going in finally. With the porch being the star of the show, we are definitely looking forward to seeing this go in. In the interior, painters, drywall, and trim will be going over their work. Remember those bricks that I had pulled out? Brandon moved all of those into the garage--a gold star for the PM! What a good guy.
We will probably do a drive by this weekend since I haven't seen the house all that much this week. After taking look at our countdown to closing, we have a little over 2 weeks left. Definitely the home stretch.
Somehow, this week, it's been hard catching someone at the homesite after 5pm. Trim is pretty much done and after a few days of this I told Amy to pop in on the house after dropping off Mikey at pre-school which is around lunch time. Most likely there are tradesmen there so the house would be open for a impromptu walkthrough.
Progress did move but they are for the details now. Today the bannisters were stained with the dark finish that has so dominated in our furnishing choices. With the white spindles, they look pretty darn good. Wish I could afford the iron spindles though.
The coated wire racks were all installed in the laundry room and closets, helping that completed look along as well. Avoiding as much mud as we could, we took a survey of the outside and saw that the siding was actually pretty well done. I hadn't looked at the north side of the house, but our central AC unit is in and ready for hopefully a good Summer! Our yard light was finally installed and all that was left to do on the outside was the deck, the porch, and some trim on the vents.
Amy's going to hold steady with here Monday-Wednesday-Friday visits to the homesite until closing. We may not catch all discrepancies, but we can strive for 100 percent perfect. The goal is to get the discrepancies on the radar before closing, else it's going to be a long wait to get them to tend to it.